Friday, August 22, 2014

1st Week of School! part 1

Well the 1st week of school is finally over!  I must say that it flew by so quickly that I couldn't believe that today was Friday!  Never have I ended a week of school still feeling full of energy!

1st Surprising moment: My house was so quiet I could have heard a pin drop.

Seriously, there were entire hours every morning when all 3 of my kids were working in complete silence at the same time.  It was a first at our house and it was beautiful!


Here are our 1st day of school pics:
"I'm in 3rd grade but I want to be a zookeeper!"

"I'm in 1st grade but I want to be a cop or engineer."

"I'm 3 but I want to be a sister!"


So let me give you a recap of our week subject by subject.

Memory Work  

Each day we work on memorization.  All the kids currently have the same memory verse and I am hoping it will stay this way all year.  This week was 1 Timothy 4:12.  We used the song and video found on youtube by Seeds Family Worship to memorize it. 
 I have absolutely fallen in love with these songs!  They are catchy and stick in your head all day.  I hear Samantha and Matthew singing the songs throughout their day as they play-and Kaitlyn had it memorized the very 1st day.
06-SeedsOfCharacter           01-SeedsOfCourage  
I ordered these cds and I plan on mostly using them the rest of the year.  I have never been so excited about memorizing scripture!  To order your own cds go to http://www.seedsfamilyworship.com/our-music/
In addition the kids are working on memorizing the books of the bible.  Kaitlyn already has 75% of the books memorized, Matthew knows 15% so we are hoping to move through this fairly quickly.  Kaitlyn is just reading a list to memorize(her preference), Matthew and Samantha however are using  the Bible Book Bop by the GoFish Guys.


2nd Surprising Moment: Kaitlyn has an amazing memory!

Not only did she memorize the memory verse the very first day,  but she has already memorized all of our 3-part art cards after it was only 1 presentation! What impressed me the most was on Thursday when she told me she had already memorized her poem-the 3 stanza poem I assigned Tuesday morning!  I mean seriously I was planning on that taking a few weeks-who does that?




Samantha Time-The Letter A

We always start of with calendar before we move onto her activities.This week Samantha time was focused on the letter A.  Matthew mostly participates in this with her since he thinks its fun and it can't hurt to go over the letter's again in 1st grade.  Often times we got so busy playing that I forgot to take pictures of our activities.  Here is what I did remember to capture:

 
Talked about the sound of the letter a and traced it with our fingers, the dry erase marker, and then covered it with play-dough.
Worked on a letter A lacing card that you can find here.
Practiced spelling her name using a laminated Samantha puzzle.
The tray has colored stickers placed on it.They used alligator
 tweezers to to sort the colored cotton ball to match the stickers.



 We painted these letter A's from http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/ . We used Q-tips dipped in red paint to fill in each small circle-this was a big hit!
Alphabet hunt was so much fun.  Who wouldn't love digging through a pile of beans to find matches to the board.  Then later we would pick a clue and the kids would find the picture that matched the clue!  These printables can be found  here.

We counted and pushed buttons into bits of playdough and then matched number cards 1-5 taken from our Right Start Math curriculum.  She really enjoyed this.

All these activities were stored in her drawers so that when I was busy working with the other children she could get them out and work on them and then put them away when she was done.  For the most part I was pleasantly surprised to see that she cleaned up very well between each activity.  Here is how Samantha's drawers looked this week:
Notice the empty container-1st item not put away.  The
 pieces to the Short Vowel Shuffle Game.
Hopefully it will turn up this weekend.



3rd Surprising moment: Samantha is extremely self motivated!

She would work for 30 min with me in the morning and then spend the next 1-2 hours doing the school activities herself without any prompting from me.  She loves school and cries everyday at 2 when her school ends and she has to take a nap.

Come back later to find out what we did this week in History, Art, Music, and Math!


No comments:

Post a Comment